Wired! Living with German Wirehaired Pointers and Border Terriers

Welcome to my world. A world that many times revolves around the dogs who live with me, German Wirehaired Pointers mostly, but also Border Terriers.

I welcome you to send photos of your German Wirehaired Pointers and Border Terriers.

My kennel name is Justa.... long story that you can read by going to my other blog page. There you can read all about my dogs (mostly the Wires) and find out some other interesting things about the breed as well.

There are many dog blogs on the internet, and I follow quite a few of them. So, why another one? One reason is that lately I'm finding that too many of those pages seem to have forgotten why they started, to write about dogs. Too many have gotten themselves involved in politics- doggie and otherwise.

I hope to be able to keep this a friendly place for dog owners, a place where you can find dog care information, training tips, new products, travel, hunting.... and hopefully upbeat and fun!

I hope to write at least once a week, at least that's plan. If anyone would like to submit something to share, send me photos of the GWP's and Border Terriers, share away!

Again, Welcome to my world!
Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's and BT's



Monday, December 7, 2009

Running the puppies

For those of you who follow my blog over at Justa German Wirehaired Pointers, you'll know that we had a litter of puppies last summer. Those kids are just 5 months old now, and are really coming along very nicely.

Yesterday I met Dennis Dec, who co-owns Sassy and Brody with me, over in New Jersey at a game farm he guides hunting parties. I haven't had a chance to see his puppy, Jack, since October so this would be a great chance for me to see him. I decided to take Jeff, Jack's littermate, with me to give him a run on some new grounds.

We took Jack out first and I was very happy with how he handled himself. He was using his nose, searching through the thick stalks of sorgum that was still up. Near the end of our hike, Jack threw a very stylish point and held it for quite some time. He allowed Dennis to get in front of him and flush a nice hen pheasant! Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.

We went back and brought Jeff out and gave him a good run around the same area we ran Jack. No birds for Jeff, so Dennis planted a quail for him. Took him down through another section of land then back toward the quail. Bam! He found that bird with no problem and his little tail was right up there!

After that, we let Sassy and Louie out for a spin around the property. I decided to let Jeff tag along to see how he would handle running with the big dogs. No problem at all. In fact I was pretty proud to watch him try his best to keep up. About 15 minutes into the run, we found Louie on point, Sassy came in and backed him. Jeff can tearing around the corner and stopped as well. The big dogs stood nicely, but the puppy jumped in and found his very first pheasant!

It took him a second or two to get over the big noisy bird, but then he was off and chased it as far as he could watch it fly. Good puppy! We rounded everyone up and headed back to the car.

All in all, I am really happy with how that litter is turning out. They are all bold, all outgoing, all pointing like a million bucks! By spring, they should be turning into some really nice bird dogs for all of their new owners.

In my opinion, the best way to start young puppies is to just let them hunt and figure it out. At this age, they really can't do anything wrong, so sit back and have fun watching them learn.

No comments: