Wired! Living with German Wirehaired Pointers and Border Terriers

Welcome to my world. A world that many times revolves around the dogs who live with me, German Wirehaired Pointers mostly, but also Border Terriers.

I welcome you to send photos of your German Wirehaired Pointers and Border Terriers.

My kennel name is Justa.... long story that you can read by going to my other blog page. There you can read all about my dogs (mostly the Wires) and find out some other interesting things about the breed as well.

There are many dog blogs on the internet, and I follow quite a few of them. So, why another one? One reason is that lately I'm finding that too many of those pages seem to have forgotten why they started, to write about dogs. Too many have gotten themselves involved in politics- doggie and otherwise.

I hope to be able to keep this a friendly place for dog owners, a place where you can find dog care information, training tips, new products, travel, hunting.... and hopefully upbeat and fun!

I hope to write at least once a week, at least that's plan. If anyone would like to submit something to share, send me photos of the GWP's and Border Terriers, share away!

Again, Welcome to my world!
Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's and BT's



Thursday, December 3, 2009

BARF? Feeding Raw

OK, I'll admit it... I'm a crazy person when it comes to dog food. I've never been loyal to one certain brand, I'm always looking for the next great thing, I'm addicted to reading the back of dog food bags!

When the big dog food recall happened a couple of years ago, I started reading up on how to make my own dog food. I read about BARF (Beef and Raw Foods), spent hours trying to find everything I could about how to feed it. I even started shopping for chicken wings, chicken backs, turkey necks and blueberries on sale. I spent hours, and I mean hours of time, driving, searching, looking for sales.

Finally I settled on the Satin Balls diet... raw hamburger, eggs, wheat germ...and a bunch of other stuff. It was a pain in the neck to make, not cheap, but the dogs loved it! And they seemed to really do well on it. In fact, Louie, one of my German Wirehairs won the National Amateur Field Championship while he was on that diet. But, over time, it just became too darn much work. So back to reading dog food bags again!

But here it is mid December, and I'm thinking again of trying the BARF diet with the Border Terriers while we are in Florida. Chicken necks and backs will certainly be easier to get down there... up here in the Phillie suburbs no one seems to sell them.

There is a ton of info out there in web land on feeding raw to your dog. Easiest way to find out is to google BARF......guess I better start reading once again!

If you feed a raw diet and would like to share your experience.....
Later......

No comments: