Wired! Living with German Wirehaired Pointers and Border Terriers

Welcome to my world. A world that many times revolves around the dogs who live with me, German Wirehaired Pointers mostly, but also Border Terriers.

I welcome you to send photos of your German Wirehaired Pointers and Border Terriers.

My kennel name is Justa.... long story that you can read by going to my other blog page. There you can read all about my dogs (mostly the Wires) and find out some other interesting things about the breed as well.

There are many dog blogs on the internet, and I follow quite a few of them. So, why another one? One reason is that lately I'm finding that too many of those pages seem to have forgotten why they started, to write about dogs. Too many have gotten themselves involved in politics- doggie and otherwise.

I hope to be able to keep this a friendly place for dog owners, a place where you can find dog care information, training tips, new products, travel, hunting.... and hopefully upbeat and fun!

I hope to write at least once a week, at least that's plan. If anyone would like to submit something to share, send me photos of the GWP's and Border Terriers, share away!

Again, Welcome to my world!
Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's and BT's



Monday, November 7, 2011

As I wrote.. it's been a rotten past 2 yrs around here. First we lost Scooter, then my husband Jim. Life changed, things changed, but luckily I had the dogs to keep me somewhat on track.

After we lost Scooter I started a search for another Border Terrier. I wasn't in any hurry, I knew I couldn't replace that little dog, but down the road? I would just keep on the lookout.

I stayed in touch with Scooters breeder, Claire Sharp and let her know that one day another BT needed to come live with us. Claire agreed and one day I received a note from her that Scooters sister had a litter on the ground. She had been bred to a very nice dog and there were a couple of puppies available.

Jim's battle with prostate cancer had gone very well for almost 10 yrs and he had been doing great! There were signs that it was rearing it's ugly head again and he hadn't been feeling so great. I thought maybe bringing a puppy home (especially from Scooters sister) might just be the best medicine for him. He could take the new one for walks with Tessie, he could train it, teach it all the things he had taught Tess.....hopefully help him feel better.

I chose a female from the litter and all the plans were made to have her sent over from England. I also had a good friend that had owned Tess's sister who was also looking for a puppy and she decided to take a male from the same litter. A double hitter!

Unfortunately just as the puppies were making their way across the pond, Jim ended up in the hospital. We really didn't know at that time what the problem was or how serious it was. I really had no idea that everything would happen so quickly, that everything in my life would come to a grinding halt.

Carolyn and her husband agreed to fetch both puppies from the airport and keep them both until I felt I would have the time to dedicate to her here. I also wanted Jim to feel better and be up to a puppy. It was not to be.

Jim passed away before he could ever meet the new member of our household.....but that puppy probably saved my sanity. She kept me busy, made me laugh, and forced me to get out of bed.

Meet Meg




Tess didn't think much of this new intruder and it took her months to accept her. But just like with Scooter, she did, and they are best buddies now.

We'll see how things work out with this new member of the family.... with luck she'll make it to the show ring. If not, she will always be a much loved member of my family.

1 comment:

James said...


Hi – Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Border Terrier Community at vorts.com? Our members will love it.
Members include: BT Owners, Breeders, Trainers, and Lovers.
It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website...
You can also add Photos, Videos, Rescues and Classifieds if you like.
Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
The Border Terrier Community: http://www.vorts.com/border_terriers/
Thanks,
James Kaufman, Editor